This German military cemetery is located at Ysselsteyn in the southern Dutch province
of Limburg. It’s the largest military cemetery in the Netherlands and it’s the only
German military cemetery in the Netherlands. Most of the 31.598 Germans that are
buried here perished during the Second World War. 85 of them lost their lives during
the First World War and are buried around a memorial near the entrance of the cemetery.
Also near the entrance is the cemetery information building. In this building there
is lots of additional information about the cemetery and the German grave administration.
Also located here are the cemetery registers with every soldiers name plus burial
location on the cemetery.
The cemetery sizes approximately 28 hectares and was constructed by the Dutch government
in 1946. It was maintained by the Dutch until 1976 and until today its maintained
by the German Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge (German grave administration).
From 1948 until 1976 the cemetery was maintained under the supervision of a former
Dutch army captain by the name of Captain Lodewijk Johannes Timmermans. When Captain
Timmermans past away in 1995 his remains were spread out over the cemetery. A memorial
for Captain Timmermans is located near the centre of the cemetery.
Also in the centre is the large central memorial of the cemetery. Its a large concrete
cross surrounded by concrete grave pillars placed in a big circle. Every half hour
a carillon rings its 25 bells in a musical fashion.
The former German field commander and town commandant of the Dutch town Arnhem (A
Bridge to Far) is also buried on the Ysselsteyn cemetery. General Major Friedrich
Kussin is the highest ranking officer buried here at ysselsteyn. He was killed by
British paratroopers on 17 September 1944 at a road junction near Oosterbeek.
Also buried at Ysselsteyn are two German soldiers that were stationed in my village
Oisterwijk. One German soldier was Grenadier Gerhard Robel, he was killed on 25 October
1944 while on a recon by bicycle from Oisterwijk to the neighbouring village of Moergestel.
He was killed by a Scottish sniper on Oisterwijkseweg and temporally buried in Moergestel
until he was relocated to Ysselsteyn. The other German soldier was Obergefreiter
Franz Anton Kolb. He was killed on 26 October 1944 while defending his position during
a Scottish attack during the liberation of Oisterwijk. He was temporally buried at
the St. Petrus Banden cemetery in Oisterwijk until he was also relocated to Ysselsteyn.
The body of General Major Friedrich Kussin, the town commander of Arnhem, after his
car ran into leading elements of the British.
General Major Friedrich Kussin was responsible for the security of the town of Arnhem
from September 1943.
He was killed during the Battle for Arnhem on 17-09-44.
Franz Anton Kolb and Gerhard Robel, two German soldiers killed at Oisterwijk. Below
is the sanctuary card of Franz Anton Kolb. It say’s Franz was burried at “the cemetery
for heroes St. Petrus in Oisterwijk”